Masters in Conflict and Peace Studies - MCPS 2023/24
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University / Institution in Conflict and Peace Studies; or
- Any other Bachelor’s Degree, with prior learning / work experience in Conflict and Peace Studies; OR
- Postgraduate Diploma (SLQF 8) from a recognized University / Institution or an equal qualification acceptable to the Faculty Board of the FGS and the Senate of the University of Colombo with prior learning / work experience in Conflict and Peace Studies; OR
- Professional qualification in Conflict and Peace Studies from a recognized professional body with acceptable to the Faculty Board of the FGS and the Senate of University of Colombo with prior learning / work experience in Conflict and Peace Studies; OR
- Completion of NVQ level 7 (Equivalent to Bachelor’s degree in SLQF) with relevant work in Conflict and Peace Studies as determined by the Faculty Board of the FGS and the Senate of University of Colombo; AND
- A good knowledge of English language and satisfactory performance at a selection test and / or an interview.
How to Apply
Application form can be downloaded from the Faculty website fgs.cmb.ac.lk. Completed application form along with the certified copies of National Identity Card, Birth Certificate, relevant educational and professional qualifications and work experience (if any) and payment slips should be scanned and sent via email (firstname.lastname@example.org). In addition, the photo copies of original certified documents should also be sent through the registered post to reach the Senior Assistant Registrar, Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Colombo No 35/30. Prof. Stanley Wijesundara Mawatha, Colombo 07 on or before 27th September 2023. Please mention the programme name on the left side of the envelope.
Application fee of LKR 3,000/= (Local Students)/ 40 USD (Foreign Students) can be paid by using the code 318161000004 through any People’s Bank Branch or by using the online payment portal (pay.cmb. ac.lk)
The Masters in Conflict and Peace Studies (MCPS) programme at the Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Colombo is an interdisciplinary programme that provides students the opportunity to identify potential approaches to conflict resolution in order to build a more peaceful social order . This MCPS programme opens students to the underlying drivers of contention at the interpersonal, community, local, state, national, and global levels and the social and political developments that have prompted the change of those contentions. The MCPS educational programme will challenge students to investigate the peaceful settlement of debate through an assortment of disciplinary viewpoints and scholarly methodologies.
This MCPS programme is characterized comprehensively with a specific end goal to permit educators from numerous orders to instruct courses that open students to war and peace, conflict and conflict resolution, violence and non-violence.
More specifically, the programme will attempt to reach the objectives of, inter alia,
- introducing Conflict Resolution and Peace Studies theories from the seminal works of major scholars, practitioners and their subsequent evolution.
- providing a lens into the complexity of different approaches to Conflict and Peace Studies and its current discourse/s.
- enabling students to be familiar with the theoretical, methodological and philosophical foundations of peace research.
- gaining knowledge and understanding about the nature and significance of development and peace issues in the contemporary world.
- carrying out independent studies for professional development using the knowledge and competencies gained through the learning process
MCPS 6101 – Conflict and Peace Studies Foundations
MCPS 6102 – Conflict and Peace Processes: Theories into Practice
MCPS 6103 – Dimensions of Conflict Management and Transformation
MCPS 6104 – Research Methodology
MCPS 6201 – War and Violence: Social Cultural and Human Dimensions
MCPS 6202 – Contemporary Issues in Development and Peace
MCPS 6203 – Peace Building Policy and Practices
MCPS 6204 – Independent Study
The program shall be one academic year with eight (08) courses of 30 total credit values, and an independent study component of 7000- 8000 words which carry 07 credits, offered in two semesters.
December 23, 2023
+94 11 205 56 56
35/30, Prof. Stanley Wijesundara Mawatha, Colombo 07, Sri Lanka , Colombo 07
Type "REG coursenet" and SEND to 77000
Get latest scholarships, offers & academic event alerts to your phone via SMS.
Service is available for Dialog, Mobitel, Hutch & Airtel users. Monthly (Rs. 30 + tax).