Masters in Conflict and Peace Studies - MCPS 2022/23
The Masters in Conflict and Peace Studies (MCPS) programme at the Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Colombo is an interdisciplinary programme that provides students the opportunity to identify potential approaches to conflict resolution in order to build a more peaceful social order . This MCPS programme opens students to the underlying drivers of contention at the interpersonal, community, local, state, national, and global levels and the social and political developments that have prompted the change of those contentions. The MCPS educational programme will challenge students to investigate the peaceful settlement of debate through an assortment of disciplinary viewpoints and scholarly methodologies.
This MCPS programme is characterized comprehensively with a specific end goal to permit educators from numerous orders to instruct courses that open students to war and peace, conflict and conflict resolution, violence and non-violence.
More specifically, the programme will attempt to reach the objectives of, inter alia,
- introducing Conflict Resolution and Peace Studies theories from the seminal works of major scholars, practitioners and their subsequent evolution.
- providing a lens into the complexity of different approaches to Conflict and Peace Studies and its current discourse/s.
- enabling students to be familiar with the theoretical, methodological and philosophical foundations of peace research.
- gaining knowledge and understanding about the nature and significance of development and peace issues in the contemporary world.
- carrying out independent studies for professional development using the knowledge and competencies gained through the learning process
MCPS 6101 – Conflict and Peace Studies Foundations
MCPS 6102 – Conflict and Peace Processes: Theories into Practice
MCPS 6103 – Dimensions of Conflict Management and Transformation
MCPS 6104 – Research Methodology
MCPS 6201 – War and Violence: Social Cultural and Human Dimensions
MCPS 6202 – Contemporary Issues in Development and Peace
MCPS 6203 – Peace Building Policy and Practices
MCPS 6204 – Independent Study
The program shall be one academic year with eight (08) courses of 30 total credit values, and an independent study component of 7000- 8000 words which carry 07 credits, offered in two semesters.
+94 11 205 56 56, +9411 2 502127
35/30, Prof. Stanley Wijesundara Mawatha, Colombo 07, Sri Lanka , Colombo 07
Type "REG coursenet" and SEND to 77000
Get latest scholarships, offers & academic event alerts to your phone via SMS.
Service is available for Dialog, Mobitel, Hutch & Airtel users. Monthly (Rs. 30 + tax).