HND in Bioinformatics
Bioinformatics is a new multidisciplinary field that includes the development and implementation of computational methods and tools suitable to handle, decipher and interpret the plethora of biomolecular data derived nowadays, acting as a bridge between bioinformation and biological knowledge extraction. It is recognized that bioinformatics are fueling the rise of translational research and the success of molecular medicine.
The aim of the course is to enable students to get familiar with a significant number of bioinformatics tools and databases, understand the computational methods behind them, be able to exploit in-depth the capabilities of the tools, implement and competently interpret and present the results of a wide range of bioinformatics analyses, critically discuss the current limitations and design the next generation of tools.
The course will consist of lectures, tutorials, workshops and literature studies. Each lecture will be focused on one major bioinformatics method or a group of methods with relevant application examples. Methodology and applications to be covered include:
Databases and Web Servers, Elements of Computational Intelligence and Programming, Sequence/Structural/Functional Analysis, Omics Data Analysis, Biological Network Reconstruction and Analysis, Modeling and Simulation in Biology, Computational Biomarker Discovery, In Silico Drug Discovery, Integromics and Personalized Medicine, BioBank Informatics, Ethics in Bioinformatics and Informatics inspired by Biology.
- Understand and choose appropriate bioinformatics tools and databases for their investigation
- Understand the computational part behind the bioinformatics tools
- Perform sequence/structural/functional analysis of biomolecules
- Analyse and interpret omics data
- Perform Biological Network Reconstruction and Analysis
- Get familiar with modeling and simulations in Biology
- Get familiar with computational biomarker and drug discovery
- Describe and discuss various aspects of personalized medicine, biobanks and ethics related to bioinformatics
- Present scientific work
- Ability to choose appropriate tools and databases for specific bioinformatics analysis
- Ability to computationally analyze and interpret biomolecular properties
- Ability to perform high throughput omics analysis
- Ability to design new bioinformatics pipelines for specific needs
- Ability to report results
+94 71 3250202
No 4, Geethanjalee Place, 5th Floor , Colombo 03
Type "REG coursenet" and SEND to 77000
Get latest scholarships, offers & academic event alerts to your phone via SMS.
Service is available for Dialog, Mobitel, Hutch & Airtel users. Monthly (Rs. 30 + tax).