Diploma in Microbiology
Diploma Programme in Microbiology which is designed to cater to professionals who are in the relevant sectors, both private and government, and also those who wish to gain/upgrade knowledge and skills in the field of Microbiology with the aim of becoming professionals in the relevant field.
The programme is to be conducted by distance mode as a blended online programme and will require only limited attendance for formal face-to-face activities.
This Diploma Programme in Microbiology is designed for those who:
- Are already employed in variety of laboratories such as in crop research institutions, food and dairy industries, pharmaceutical industries, health sciences and other industries dealing with microorganisms
- Are working in secondary school laboratories where laboratory practicals are conducted for advanced level students
- Are interested in the subject and wish to be employed in a microbiological laboratory or microbiology related laboratory
This will also Provide the background and knowledge needed by every Quality Professional and Technical Leader whether in Production, Quality, Research and development, Validation, Engineering, or any other technical discipline. This is led by academic experts and industry; frequently incorporating case studies, hands on laboratory sessions and small group sessions to facilitate learning
The course contains: Two theory based course units, a practical course unit (which will include field visits to the industry) and a research project. Two theory course units contain the following:
- Introduction to Microbiology
- Past, Present and Future of Microbiology
- Microbial World
- Growth of Microorganisms
- Metabolism of Microorganisms
- Control of Microorganisms
- Bio-geo-chemical Cycling
- Water Pollution and Treatment
- Waste Control & Biodegradation
- Microorganisms in Food
- Food Spoilage and Preservation
- Food-borne Diseases
- Microbiological Safety of Food
- Human Diseases/ Microorganisms & Health
- Exploiting Microorganisms
The lab practical will help you to familiarise with the common laboratory experiments. Field Visits will give you a chance to observe the most advanced techniques used in Microbiology laboratories. The Research Project (Mini Project) improves your critical thinking and analytical skills to make you suitable for the society to conduct independent research.
- Three (03) passes at G.C.E. (A/L) in Biology stream AND
- a Credit / B pass in English language at the G.C.E (O/L) examination Work experience in Microbiology would be an added advantage to follow the course
+94 11 2 881269
P.O. Box 21 , Nawala , Nugegoda
Type "REG coursenet" and SEND to 77000
Get latest scholarships, offers & academic event alerts to your phone via SMS.
Service is available for Dialog, Mobitel, Hutch & Airtel users. Monthly (Rs. 30 + tax).