UNIVERSITY OF NORTHAMPTON, located in Northamptonshire, England is a globally respected and recognised institution of higher learning. Northampton is currently Ranked at Number 43 in the 2016 UK Guardian Ranking for Business, Management and Marketing studies in the UK.
University of Northampton has partnered with Human Resource Management Institute (HRMI) Sri Lanka to offer a Master’s Degree in Business Administration (MBA). This Master's Degree is totally focused on Strategy and Innovation to facilitate development of competencies required in senior management positions. Learning Strategy and Innovation is equally critical for individuals as well as for organisations. The survival and success of both depend on how they would differentiate from the rest. This MBA is the only Master's level qualification offered by any university in Sri Lanka designed with an exclusive focus on Strategy and Innovation.
The entire learning content of the Northampton MBA attempts to find solutions to 2 fundamental issues advocated by Prof. Michael Porter of the Harvard Business School, the leading authority on competitive strategy and competitiveness.
The 2 issues;
- How should we differentiate our products & services from our competitors?
- How should we make our processes more efficient and cost effective than our competitors? The 11 modules at Stage 1 of the Northampton MBA extensively deals with finding solutions from all aspects of strategy to enhance the sustainable competitiveness of organisations.
YEAR 1 - COURSEWORK STAGE
PROGRAMME CONTENT - YEAR 1
Students will fulfill the coursework requirement of the Northampton MBA (120 Credits) by pursuing 11 modules of study as prescribed by the University of Northampton. On completion of the 11 modules, students are entitled to receive the Pearson Assured Executive Diploma in Strategy and Innovation, a Level 7 - Post Graduate Qualification as proof of successful completion of the coursework stage of the MBA.
COURSEWORK STAGE (120 CREDITS) - PEARSON ASSURED EXECUTIVE DIPLOMA IN STRATEGY AND INNOVATION
- Unit 1 - Strategic Planning : This unit provides a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of strategy, what drives strategy and why a company need to use 'differentiation' as the fundamental strategy. The learner will understand the process of developing a strategic plan together with relevant tools and techniques. The connectivity between innovation and strategy is illustrated with many case studies.
- Unit 2 - Managing Innovation and Creativity : Focuses on the significance of creating a company wide innovation culture and what a company needs to do to establish an innovation pipeline to achieve a sustainable competitive edge.
- Unit 3 - Strategic Management and Leadership Skills - Provides insights into the critical linkage between strategic management, leadership and the role of leadership in creating strategic direction and alignment.
- Unit 4 - Strategic Change Management - Enables learners to develop the skills of leading and effecting ‘change’ in order to achieve strategic redirection and innovation.
- Unit 5 - Strategic Marketing Management - Provides the connectivity between corporate strategy and strategic marketing. Enables learners to realize how innovation could be the primary driver of marketing success.
- Unit 6 - Strategic Human Resource Management - Enables the learner to understand how strategic human resource management supports employee engagement, learning and innovation in the process of achieving corporate goals.
- Unit 7 - Strategic Quality and Systems Management - Provides insights for learners to understand the importance of quality, quality systems management and developing ‘quality’ as a strategy to enable achievement of competitive advantage.
- Unit 8 - Strategic Supply Chain Management & Logistics - On the importance of supply chain and logistics management and its relevance to strategic success. The learners will gain insights into developing the supply chain process to derive strategic advantages.
- Unit 9 - Corporate Communication Strategies - On the critical role of corporate communications and its impact on creating ‘positive branding’ in all frontiers of stakeholders.
- Unit 10 - Managing Financial Principles and Techniques - Provides learners the skills to apply financial principles relevant to strategic management in an organisational context, including forecasting, capital appraisal, budgeting, financial appraisal and analysis.
- Unit 11 - Professional Development for Strategic Managers - Facilitates the learner to develop competencies required to function effectively at senior management level in establishing strategic direction and a culture of innovation.
YEAR 2 - RESEARCH STAGE OF THE MBA – FROM UNIVERSITY OF NORTHAMPTON, UK (60 CREDITS)
Core Module 1 - Critical Issues in Business - 10 credits
The module aims to;
- Enable the learner to develop a critical understanding of the study of organisations and business environment.
- Critically evaluate the tasks and responsibilities of business leaders from an integration perspective through the introduction of contemporary and pervasive issues.
Focus areas for this module;
- The Skills of Business Leaders
- Critical Reflection and Personal Development
- Integration and Analysis
- Using Learning Resources in MBA Stud
- Pervasive Issues in Business Leadership
- Sustainability and Ethics
- Risk and Security in Organisations
- Entrepreneurship,Enterprise and Social Enterprise
- Globalization and the International Agenda
- Diversity, Inclusion and Exclusion
- Power and its consequences
Core Module 2 - 'Research Methods and Dissertation' - Business Research Project - 50 credits
- Every Saturday 8.45am to 1.30pm
- Distance Supported Learning is available on request
- Bachelor's Degree / Professional Qualification OR
- Edexcel Assured Managerial Diploma (HRMI) OR
- 5 years experience in Managerial / Executive Capacity
- 10 years as a Commissioned Officer in SL Army / Navy / Air Force / Police
+94 11 5 335986, +94 77 2204101
23, Vijaya Kumaranathunga Mawatha , Colombo 05
Type "REG coursenet" and SEND to 77000
Get latest scholarships, offers & academic event alerts to your phone via SMS.
Service is available for Dialog, Mobitel, Hutch & Airtel users. Monthly (Rs. 30 + tax).